Hot Cereal

Hot Cereal

Postby G'Ma3 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:55 am

I love hot cereal, always have. Oatmeal, Cream of Wheat, Maypo (shows my age here!)

So, what to do when you are eating low-carb? Some people use flaxseed meal as a hot cereal, but I don't care for the texture of it. It's kind of slimy, or gluey, and not a lot of taste, so I tried mixing it half & half with whey protein powder, and it helped with the consistency. But then I added just a touch of coconut flour and/or almond meal (not the blanched) and it changed the texture tremendously. How much you add depends on how much you can tolerate on your low-carb plan. If you can add oats on your plan, a teaspoon of oats or oat bran would also help with the texture.

You can mix up your cereal a bowl at a time, or make a batch of mix to keep in the fridge. When I make a batch, the proportions are usually for every cup of flaxseed meal (I prefer golden) and whey protein powder, mix in a tablespoon of coconut flour and/or almond meal.

Put about 1/4 to 1/3 cup in your bowl, add boiling water to make it the consistency you like, then eat. I will add a dash of cream or half & half, or almond milk. You can also add water to the bowl and nuke it for a minute or 2, depending on your microwave oven.

This is a staple in my house. For me, because my husband is not a hot cereal eater.

You can also put 1/4 cup in a bowl or cup, add about 1/4 tsp baking powder and an egg, mix well and nuke for 1 minute or so, for a really good muffin.

This is a recipe to adjust according to your own taste and level of carbs you can tolerate.
G'Ma3

Re: Hot Cereal

Postby crazywoman » Thu May 09, 2013 8:57 pm

Thanks for the post.

People are always looking for hot cereals.
Billie
4'8" Started LC WOL Aug 2003
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
Member since Feb 2004

Image Image
crazywoman

Postby crazywoman » Fri May 24, 2013 10:01 pm

Hope you don't mind, I'm gonna post my hot cereal recipe here too. I came to post mine, and had actually forgotten yours was here. Thought I might as well use the same thread as to have 2 with the same name.

HOT CEREAL - BILLIE'S LOW CARB

1 Tbsp sliced Almonds (optional)
2 Tbsp ground almonds
2 Tbsp golden flax meal (can use reg brown)
1 Tbsp vanilla whey protein pwd
1 Tbsp Calcium Caseinate (optional)
1 tsp psyllium
1 tsp Acacia (Clear Fiber) (optional)
1 Tbsp Oat Fiber
pinch salt
dash of Kelp (optional)
1 Tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
2 Tbsp Wheat bran (optional) makes the carb count higher
1/4-1/2 tsp Glucomannan (optional)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup hot water (or as needed, may need more or less, I never measure, just pour in & stir till it looks good. It needs to be a little soupy before nuking)

1/64 tsp pure Stevia pwd or sweetener to taste (You may not need any extra)
1 Tbsp DaVinci’s SF syrup (optional)

Mix in microwavable bowl. Microwave for 1 min (or till desired consistency)

Use any flavor protein pwd desired. Can use chocolate, and add cocoa pwd & more sweetener. Strawberry is good too.
Cinnamon is also good added.
I've also been adding abt a tsp of Nutritional Yeast for added nutrition.

HOT CEREAL MIX - LOW CARB X 8

Recipe By :BCW
Serving Size : 8
Categories : cereal

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 Tablespoon sliced Almonds per serving - will add abt 2 carbs to serving -- optional
1 cup ground almonds
1 cup flax seed meal -- golden (can use reg brown)
1/2 cup Whey Protein Powder -- vanilla
1/2 cup Calcium Caseinate Powder -- optional
8 pinches salt
1 teaspoon Kelp -- optional
1/2 cup sesame seeds -- optional - adds abt 1 carb per serving
1 cup Wheat bran - will add abt 2 carbs to serving (2 Tbsp per serving) -- optional
1/2 cup Oat Fiber -- optional
2 Tablespoons Psyllium husks
2 teaspoons Glucomannan
Stevia, pure extract powder -- as needed, or sweetener of choice as needed (You probably want to wait and add more sweetener as you make up a bowl rather than add it to the batch mix.

Mix in microwavable bowl. Add water as needed (abt 1/2 cup, maybe more). Stir. Microwave for 1 min (or till desired consistency)

Use any flavor protein pwd desired. Can use chocolate, and add cocoa pwd & more sweetener. Strawberry is good too.
Cinnamon is also good added.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 310 Calories; 22g Fat (56.3% calories from fat); 21g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 14g Dietary Fiber; 8mg Cholesterol; 154mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 2 Fat.
****************************************************************************************************************************

I listed some of the ingredients as optional. But really you can leave out any &/or sub with something else. You can also add items you'd like. The carb count will change of course with changes. But you get a rough idea here what the carb count would be.
I have had a hard time finding the Calcium Caseinate, so I rarely use that now. It is completely optional! Most of you will probably want to leave out the Wheat Bran. I rarely put it in myself actually. But left it for those of you who don't have a problem with it.
Billie
4'8" Started LC WOL Aug 2003
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
Member since Feb 2004

Image Image
crazywoman

Postby lily2015 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:19 am

With their friends as well as pals options their own conditions possibilities.
lily2015

Return to Breakfasts