Gluten-Free Chocolate-Almond Cookies made with Lupin Flour

Postby crazywoman » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:23 pm

1 1/2 cup lupin flour
1 cup almond meal (Billie: maybe 3/4 cup almond meal + 1/4 cup oat fiber)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt (Billie: If you don't use kosher salt be sure to cut way back on the salt!)
2 tablespoons cocoa (Billie: 1/4 cup)(Billie: I did 1/2 Hershey's reg & 1/2 Special Dark)
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar (Billie: sub sugar free sweeteners to equal 1 1/2cups sugar)
2 eggs
2 ounces chocolate, melted

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line several baking sheets with parchment paper. (Billie: I used a silicone baking mat.)

In a medium bowl, combine the lupin flour, almond meal, baking powder, kosher salt, and cocoa.
Whisk to combine and break up any large lumps.

In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or you can use a hand-held electric
mixer, if you prefer) beat the butter until it is soft. Add the sugar and beat until it is light. Add the eggs,
one at a time, beating until they are incorporated. Add the chocolate, and beat until it is incorporated.
Add the flour mixture, and mix until it is thoroughly combined. This is the point where a regular cookie
recipe would tell you to not overmix. There’s no gluten here to worry about, but there’s still no sense in
mixing it to death, either. Just combine it well, and you’re done.

Using a small scoop (I used a #40 scoop, which is less than 2 tablespoons) put rounds of cookie dough
on your prepared cookie sheets, leaving room between them to spread during baking. If you don’t have
a scoop, just use a spoon to portion the dough and roll it into a ball with your hands. (Billie: I shaped balls with my hands, then pressed down slightly. Tho she doesn't say to press down, I think you need to.)
Bake at 350 degrees until the cookies have spread, cracked on top, and are just barely browned,
about 15 minutes. Move them to a rack to cool completely – they will crisp up as they cool.

Donna Currie is a Colorado-based food writer who operates the blog Cookistry.
https://fooducopia.com/blog/2011/12/glu ... d-cookies/

I thought I had made a note of how much of which sweeteners I had used, but I can't find it anywhere. I know I used 1 cup Erythritol + 1tsp Stevia (homemade Swerve), but not sure what I used for the other 1/2 cup. Will have to develop that again when I make them again. But then again, you can use your favorite sweetener. I do think a more bulked up one like the Erythritol (or Swerve) or such would work better than Splenda or liquid, but I really don't know how they would work in it alone.

I also did sub out 1/4 cup of the almond meal/flour for 1/4 cup of oat fiber. Since I over baked these, I'm not sure what the results of that tweak actually is/was. As I said, I did over bake them,,, and they came out very hard. But I do think this was a result of the over baking & not the oat fiber tweak. DO NO OVER BAKE!! (I had made a 1/2 batch before, and I can't remember if I subbed out the oat fiber or not, but baked according to the directions, and as the recipe says they do crisp up after cooling. They will be soft when taken out of the oven.
Billie
4'8" Started LC WOL Aug 2003
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
Member since Feb 2004

Image Image
crazywoman

Return to Desserts