1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 pound mild or hot Italian sausage, cut into 2-inch lengths
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, each piece cut into thirds
1 medium yellow onion, quartered and separated into rings
2 green bell peppers, cut into 1-inch wide strips
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch wide strips
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, may use 1 tablespoon dried
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
8 ounces small button mushrooms
4 marinated hot cherry peppers, cut in half
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and chicken, and then cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes.
3. Drain the fat from the skillet (the meat does not have to be fully cooked at this point as it will finish cooking in the oven).
4. Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a separate large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and peppers and cook for about 2 minutes, just until tender.
5. Add the browned meat, cooked onions and peppers, and all remaining ingredients to a casserole dish, tossing to combine.
6. Bake uncovered for about 40 minutes. Serve garnished with fresh basil, lemon slices, and shaved Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Turkey sausage and boneless chicken breast may be substituted to significantly reduce the fat in this recipe.
Calories: 445 | Fat: 26g | Protein: 45g | Fiber: 1.5g | Net Carbs: 3g
« Back to Recipes
© George Stella. All rights reserved. Do not copy without permission.