Grilled Mojito Chicken
Recipe by: George Stella
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup rum (may use sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup mint leaves, finely chopped
- ¼ cup bulk sugar substitute (recommended: Splenda)
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Place the chicken breasts in a 1-gallon food storage bag or plastic container.
- Whisk together all remaining ingredients and pour over the chicken in the bag. Seal or cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours before cooking. (Do not marinate overnight when using lime juice as it will cook and break down the meat.)
- Once chicken is marinated, build a charcoal fire or preheat a gas grill or grill pan to high. Remove the chicken from the bag and discard the used marinade.
- Place the chicken breasts on the grill and cook about 10 minutes on each side, or until an instant-read thermometer stuck in the thickest piece reads 165°F. Serve garnished with lime and sprigs of mint.
The marinade in this recipe works great for pork or seafood as well. For extra-large or very thick chicken breasts, simply filet them in half and they will both marinate and cook in about ½ the time.
Calories: 300 Fat: 9 Net Carbs: 2.5 Fiber: 1 Protein: 48.5
© George Stella. All rights reserved. Do not copy without permission.