Key West Crab Cakes with Mustard Sauce
Recipe by: George Stella
- 1 pound claw crabmeat
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely diced green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milled flax seed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- MUSTARD SAUCE
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients, except the canola oil and Mustard Sauce ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, combine all Mustard Sauce ingredients.
- Heat the canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Carefully spoon the batter in rounded tablespoons into the pan. (The resulting crab cakes will be the size of silver dollars, and the batter should be very loose. Once the egg in the batter starts to cook, the cakes will hold together fine)
- Cook the crab cakes on one side until firm, about 2 minutes, and then flip and cook on the other side for about 1 more minute.
- Continue cooking in batches until you’ve used up all of the batter. Serve immediately with Mustard Sauce.
The crabmeat used in this recipe can be found in cans or refrigerated tubs in your grocer’s seafood department. Jumbo lump crabmeat is even better than the claw meat but nearly three times the price!
Calories: 205 Fat: 12 Net Carbs: 5 Fiber: 1.5 Protein: 18
© George Stella. All rights reserved. Do not copy without permission.