Part 1 of 2 – 4:37 min.
5 Spice Chinese Chicken Skewers with Instant Peanut Dipping Sauce
If you are a Chinese food lover like me, you will recognize the addictive flavor of these Asian appetizer delights! Chinese 5 Spice Powder is a seasoning that is available at stores and has been used in almost every Chinese restaurant forever; but it most likely has sugars added and worse yet it may have MSG! In this recipe I have duplicated the flavors without all the bad stuff we don’t need so indulge until your hearts desire!
Recipe by: George Stella
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 teaspoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken thighs
- 18 8-inch bamboo skewers
- 1 tablespoon all natural peanut butter (for peanut sauce)
- 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce or low sodium soy sauce (for peanut sauce)
- 3 teaspoons Splenda sugar replacement (for peanut sauce)
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Spray a sheet pan with vegetable oil spray and set aside.
- To make the rub for the chicken, place all the ingredients, except the chicken, into a medium bowl and mix well.
- Add the chicken to the bowl and coat each piece with the rub.
- Place the coated chicken pieces on the greased sheet pan, top with any remaining rub that can be scraped from the bowl, and bake for approximately 25 – 30 minutes. (*Make certain chicken is cooked thoroughly, juices should run clear when cut into and a meat thermometer should read at least 180 degrees F. when stuck into the thickest piece)
- Remove the cooked chicken thighs from the oven and cool for 10 minutes before cutting longwise into 3 strips each.
- Working over a clean sheet pan, thread 1 cooked chicken strip onto each skewer and leave on the sheet pan.
- Lightly grill each fully cooked chicken skewer for about 1 minute before serving or simply reheat in the 400 F. oven for 5 minutes and serve accompanied by Peanut Dipping Sauce. Make sauce by mixing the ingredients together in a small bowl.
A nice colorful stir fry goes perfect with these skewers. Boneless and skinless chicken breast may be used for a leaner and lower fat alternative to the thigh meat. And the canola oil may be cut by half and replaced with water or substituted with olive oil if desired. The Splenda may be cut by half or replaced with your choice of other sugar replacements such as Stevia.
Calories: 230 Fat: 14 Net Carbs: 1 Fiber: 0 Protein: 24