To Download right-click on file icon (Ctrl-click for Mac users) and select “Save Target As.”
Chile Rellenos Huevos
I have been surrounded by ethnic diversity in kitchens my entire life; From French and Haitian to Cuban and Mexican foods, I love them ALL. Two big favorites of mine have always been Chile Rellenos or baked stuffed green chili peppers and Huevos Rancheros a spicy scramble with salsa and chorizo. This easy to make combination of the two has a snazzy presentation and will have everyone shouting Ole’!
Recipe by: George Stella
- Vegetable oil spray
- 4 ounces chorizo sausage, cooked and diced (may use any breakfast sausage)
- 6 large eggs
- 4 ounces diced green Chile peppers (canned preferred)
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup grated Monterey jack cheese
- SPECIAL EQUIPMENT: 6 cup muffin pan
- Place the rack in the center position and preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray the muffin pan with vegetable oil and divide the cooked diced chorizo equally into each of the six cups.
- Next crack an egg into each of the cups over the sausage, trying to keep the yolks unbroken and bake for about 12-14 minutes until the egg whites are cooked.
- Remove the pan from the oven and top each cooked egg with equal amounts of chili peppers and both types of cheese and place back into the oven for just 1 minute more until the cheese is melted and remove.
- Let the eggs stand in the muffin pan for 2 minutes to set before removing each egg with a small rubber spatula or fork to serve. (They should hold together like a muffin) Serve topped with a dollop of sour cream and salsa if desired.
Simple sliced avocado or guacamole make the perfect healthy accompaniment for this spicy breakfast break from the ordinary. All egg whites or Eggbeaters egg substitute may be used in place of whole eggs to lower the cholesterol in this recipe. And turkey breakfast sausage is a lower fat choice to use in place of the chorizo to lighten things up a bit! Low fat cheese may also be used and the amount reduced by ½ without changing the flavor!
Calories: 240 Fat: 18 Net Carbs: 2 Fiber: 0 Protein: 15