To Download right-click on file icon (Ctrl-click for Mac users) and select “Save Target As.”
Whether you just want a quick stove top dinner that just happens to be gourmet or a dish that can feed the masses at banquets and parties; Chicken Marsala is a true time tested favorite of all! I believe that great recipes are really the simplest and quickest using few ingredients and this one surely qualifies on all counts!
Recipe by: George Stella
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (may use olive oil)
- 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast cut or pounded into 4 thin cutlets.
- 1 cup soy flour, seasoned with ½ teaspoon kosher salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper in a medium bowl
- 3 eggs, beaten in a medium bowl
- 1 tablespoon Earth Balance butter alternative (may use butter)
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 1 small clove finely minced garlic
- 10 ounces Crimini or “Baby Bella” mushrooms (may use button mushrooms)
- 1 teaspoon beef base (may use 2 beef bouillon cubes)
- 3 ounces Cream Marsala wine
- 6 ounces heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- Place the oil in a large non stick sauté pan over high heat until almost smoking hot.
- Dredge the chicken cutlets first in the seasoned soy flour, then the eggs and add to the hot pan. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side until golden brown and almost fully cooked; remove and reserve.
- Using the same pan add the Earth Balance, onions, garlic and mushrooms and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Next add the beef base, Marsala, heavy cream, pepper and parsley and cook on high heat for about 4 more minutes until liquid is reduced by about half.
- Add the cooked chicken cutlets back into the pan with the sauce and continue cooking for about 4 more minutes until sauce thickens by about half again. Remove chicken from pan and spoon sauce and mushrooms over the top to serve.
Steamed Broccoli Rabe drizzled with Extra Virgin olive oil and simply seasoned with salt and pepper also makes a perfect 5 minute side! To reduce fats, the amount of sauce may be cut in half.
Calories: 480 Fat: 23 Net Carbs: 5 Fiber: 1 Protein: 58