To Download right-click on file icon (Ctrl-click for Mac users) and select “Save Target As.”
Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years are great Holidays for fun seasonal foods and special little goodies that pop up in the grocery stores; things we just don’t see the rest of the year. One such delectable and traditional delight is Eggnog; fun and quick to make while avoiding tons of sugars usually found in store bought versions.
Recipe by: George Stella
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup sugar substitute, recommend: Splenda brand
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups unsweetened soy milk (may use Half and Half)
- 1 cup dark rum (may use ½ cup Brandy and ½ cup dark rum) optionally
- SPECIAL EQUIPMENT: Blender (may use a bowl and wire whisk)
- Place the eggs in the blender on low speed for about 15 seconds until frothy.
- Add the sugar substitute, vanilla and nutmeg and blend on low for another 15 seconds.
- With the blender running on low, slowly add the rum and then the unsweetened soy milk. Chill for 30 minutes and serve cold sprinkled with cinnamon or nutmeg.
Eggnog is great all by its lonesome so you may leave out the alcohol and simply replace it with another cup of unsweetened soy milk. But for a non-alcoholic twist try adding a cup of chilled coffee instead! The fats in this recipe have already been reduced greatly by using unsweetened soy milk in place of heavy cream normally used in making eggnog. So in this case I would like to reverse myself and recommend upping the fats and using half and half instead of soy milk for truly decadent eggnog!
Calories: 140 Fat: 4 Net Carbs: 4 Fiber: 1 Protein: 7