To Download right-click on file icon (Ctrl-click for Mac users) and select “Save Target As.”
Lemon Meringue Pie
This is a must-try recipe: the pie looks and tastes fantastic. In just three easy steps you’ll create a classic comfort food you’ve been missing. This dessert will have anyone you serve it to exclaiming wow! When life hands you lemons… make lemon meringue pie!
Recipe by: Rachel Stella
- Vegetable oil spray
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup Almond Flour
- ¼ sugar substitute, (recommended: Splenda)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- Meringue Ingredients:
- 6 large egg whites, at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ cup sugar substitute, (recommended: Splenda)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, no sugar added
- Filling Ingredients:
- 5 egg yolks, (*save the whites for the meringue, and you will still need 1 more)
- 1½ cups water
- 1 cup sugar substitute, (recommended: Splenda)
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin, (recommended: Knox brand)
- ¼ cup cold water
- Special Equipment: Electric mixer and a 9 inch pie pan
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray the pie pan generously with vegetable oil.
- Make the Crust: In a medium sized bowl, whisk the egg white with a fork until frothy and add the remaining crust ingredients. Mix until well-blended and dough-like.
- Place dough in the center of pie pan and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Press down through the plastic to evenly spread the dough to cover the entire inside of the pan. (Make sure to coat the sides all the way to the top.) Discard plastic wrap and replace it with a round piece of parchment paper pressing down to adhere to the crust. (Trim the edges afterwards if needed). Set aside and prepare the meringue.
- Make and Bake the Meringue: Add the egg whites to a mixing bowl and beat on high speed for about 1 minute until frothy. Then, add the remaining meringue ingredients and continue beating until soft peaks form.
- Scoop the meringue into the pie crust right on top of the parchment paper and spread it out, mounding in the center. (The paper and meringue will be lifted right out of the crust after baking so the pie may be filled later.) Bake the crust and meringue together for 25 to 30 minutes until the meringue is golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool until ready to fill.
- Prepare an ice water bath with an insert bowl.
- Make the Filling and Pie: In a saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the egg yolks, 1½ cups water, sugar substitute, lemon peel, lemon juice, and salt. Cook while stirring slowly and constantly with a wooden spoon for about 15 minutes being careful not to let the filling boil.
- Just before the filling is done, dissolve the gelatin in ¼ cup cold water and let sit for 1 minute, then quickly whisk it into the hot filling.
- Immediately remove filling from the heat and pour into the bowl resting in the ice water bath to cool.
- Once cooled, pour the filling into the cooked piecrust.
- Carefully remove the parchment paper from the baked meringue and place the meringue on top of the filled pie to finish. Refrigerate uncovered for at least 2 hours before serving.
The butter in this recipe can be replaced with a trans-fat free margarine.
Calories: 160 Fat: 11 Net Carbs: 8 Fiber: 1 Protein: 7