To Download right-click on file icon (Ctrl-click for Mac users) and select “Save Target As.”
No Corn Cornbread
Who doesn’t LOVE cornbread? And we hadn’t had it in about 6 years – until now!!! When Rachel came up with this recipe idea I really had my doubts. Impossible! No way Jose’ I told her. Then she made this recipe, I ate it, I loved it and then I ate my words! The moral of this story? Don’t doubt Rachel or that this recipe will fill the bill for your cornbread cravings!
Recipe by: Rachel Stella
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon wheat bran
- 1 cup plus ½ tablespoon soy flour
- ½ cup sugar substitute (Splenda recommended)
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream (may use unsweetened soy milk)
- ⅓ cup club soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup small diced yellow squash (*try to use mostly the yellow skin area)
- Special Equipment: 8 inch oven proof frying pan (*May use 6 cup muffin tin)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray the fry pan with the cooking spray. In a small bowl, mix together the bran and ½ tablespoon soy flour. Evenly sprinkle the pan with the mixture, being careful to coat the sides.
- In a larger bowl whisk together the 1 cup soy flour, Splenda and baking powder. Add the eggs, heavy cream, vanilla and club soda and continue to whisk until completely blended.
- Fold in the diced yellow squash, pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 25 minutes until the top starts to brown. The pan bread is done when lightly browned and when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let cool for at least 5 minutes. Carefully loosen the bread around the edges with a spatula, place a large plate over the top of the pan and flip upside down to remove. Cut into 6 pieces to serve warm or cold.
You may use Unsweetened Soy Milk instead of heavy cream to cut down on the fats.
Calories: 140 Fat: 9 Net Carbs: 6 Fiber: 2 Protein: 6